July 28, 2012

Twists and Turns

We're off! The movers came by yesterday and piled the contents of my apartment into a truck, so last night we camped indoors with our sleeping pads and sleeping bags.

Our alarm went off at 6:30am and after a quick detour by Erin's place for my keys (I'd forgotten them there last night, off to a great start!) slipped them under the door for the landlord to pick up and away we went towards Whistler.

Stretch break.
Although it's still quite early in the trip, I have learned a couple of things that I think are worth sharing.

#1. Temperature changes on a motorcycle are felt instantly. This I learned on our last trip but I still find it surprising how a patch of shade can really cool the air around you, or a change in elevation.

#2. Before this trip I always thought getting carsick was limited to cars. That I would somehow be immune since I was on a bike. Not the case. It was either the combination of mostly looking through my camera lens while winding along Duffy Lake Road, or maybe it was just the McDonald's breakfast I had that morning, but I definitely had a moment of panic while trying to figure out how to remove my helmet fast enough or whether or not I could somehow just project it out. Luckily, once I opened my visor and felt the wind on my face the feeling passed and the rest of the ride passed without a hitch.

One of our many hairpin turns!
The winding Duffy Lake Road.
I guess that's only two so far but I'll try adding to those as the days go by.

We stopped for lunch in Lillooet and then again for supplies at the single cornerstore/liquor store/deli at 70 mile house before setting up camp at Arrowhead park on Green Lake. The sites here are very open, with not a lot of privacy between you and your neighbour, but the one on our left was generous enough to give us some firewood for the night so it ended up being a positive. Plus we're only ten steps away from the lake!



First bear sighting of the trip!
Odometer: 280 miles

1 comment: